Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where Were You On This Day in 2001?

Today is September 11, 2008. It's hard to realize that it was seven years ago when the World Trade Centers fell. I remember that day so vividly. It was one of the first weeks of my freshman year in college. They announced in chapel that a plane (I was thinking small chartered plane) flew into one of the towers and we had a special time of prayer before ending that morning. I quickly raced back to my room to find news on this piece, but the internet was ridiculously slow and I couldn't get on to any news site. I went downstairs to the lobby where there was a crowd gathered around the television in the corner. We watched as they replayed tape of a plane (a commercial jet) fly into the first tower and explode. Then live footage started as a second plane flew into the second tower, and then the first tower completely collapsed from the first explosion (I think, my timeline may be faulty...just going by memory). I broke down crying, right there, in front of all these other people who I didn't know, but who were also greatly affected by what they saw. I don't cry often, but I just realized that I was watching something that would impact our country. I thought, "we're the United States, this isn't supposed to happen here." And to realize that those buildings would be gone forever, and those people would be gone forever, and children who right now were in daycare or school would go home to find out that their parent or parents were never coming home again. Today, pray for those who lost loved ones in those buildings, in the Pentagon and the crash in Schwenksville, either because they worked there or were working to rescue those inside. I'm sure today is still a sad memory for them.

The plane in Shanksville, I believe, was somewhat of a blessing from God? Not that those people died, I don't mean that at all. That is a tragedy. But that we were left at the end of that day with a glimmer of hope and profiles of courage. The people on that plane realized what was happening and decided to take a stand. Todd Beamer and others showed us, and the world, that Americans aren't weak pansies, that we're not just going to let people walk all over us. But we'll fight back and thwart their evil plans. I cannot imagine doing that myself, although I wish I would, but the sacrifice of the people on that plane to spare the lives of others is awesome and humbling.

My words are pretty shabby to talk about all of this and to express what I'm really feeling today, but I hope that this gives you a glimpse.

Where were you on this day in 2001? I want to hear from you.

P.S. - I recommend watching the movie, United 93. I think it does a good job of telling the story of what was going on during that day.

4 comments:

Bruno Andrews said...

On this day seven years ago I was working for a rental company on my way to set up a large event tent. My best friend Rob was with me and while crammed into the cab of a delivery truck with one other person and listening to Howard Stern someone called in and announced that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center Buildings. It was quickly dismissed as a prank call. It was a clear day. Who couldn't see the Trade Center! The caller urged Howard to have someone go to a window and look for themselves and indeed it was true.

Immediately we started to think how that could have happened, how the fire was to be put out and people rescued.

We soon arrived at the site, a bed and breakfast, and began our work. A bit later the owner of the B&B came out and informed us another plane crashed into the other WTC Building. He invited us inside to see what the news was reporting. It was complete chaos!



We quickly finished our job setting up the tent, packed up the truck and began to leave. On our way out of the drive way we noticed that the church next to the B&B had placed a make-shift sign announcing an emergency prayer meeting that evening.



As we turned on the radio for our return trip, Howard was still on the air, well after the show would normally be off the air. There were reports that a plane had hit the capital, the pentagon, bombs from rental trucks were reported, and there was no real clear picture as to what was happening.

We knew by this time that someone had to have planned all this and that it was suspected terrorism.

I still remember the confusion, the racing thoughts and questions that wouldn't stop going through my mind. By the time we got back to the rental company our boss had a television on and very soon after the first building collapsed.

We were told to go home, that they were closing for the day. I hurried home and was glued to the TV the rest of the day, entirely saddened at the loss of life and lack of security here in our own country.



September 11, 2001 will always be a day I remember as a day I was completely confused and disillusioned. Shocked and uprooted. United and broken. How could this have happened? And why?



Thanks for posting Emily. I hope others comment as well. I would be very interested in knowing what others were doing as well and where they were.

Jason said...

I remember I was at work, and someone heard it on the radio. I went home to watch it on TV - Nicole hadn't heard about it yet (it was still pretty early in the west). I too remember watching live as the second plane crashed into the building. I was thinking 'this is crazy, how could this happen.'

I go to school now with someone that was in NY that day. She told me how, even though she was quite a ways away, there was dust and ash on her car when she went outside. She remembers also how silent it was that day going home.

Erin said...

I don't specifically remember interacting with you that day, but I was glued in front of the MAP TV as well. I first heard about the PA plane down at the florist in town. I had skipped chapel to buy flowers for my freshman roommate's birthday, which was that day. I too thought it was just a charter plane or something relatively minor. I was shocked to walk in the lobby and see the truth. I don't remember much else, just hanging over the TV for most all of that day. And that Dr. Stansbury had no idea what we were talking about when we mentioned it in poetry class that afternoon.

It's weird talking with my students about it. Some of theme were barely in elementary school, and don't share as strong memories as I do. It gives me a better appreciation for times when my relatives reminisce about other "where were you" events, such as JFK's assassination, or Pearl Harbor.

Unknown said...

I too was a freshman in college (funny coincidence, eh?). I was in my room doing something on the computer waiting for my next class, the one right after chapel. I can't remember exactly how I found out, either someone mentioned it in passing. But at that time I thought it was minor and didn't give it much attention. Trolly then came down to get me for class (we had the same one), I think he might have mentioned something also. On the way out of the dorm, we stopped in the Memorial Lobby where their was a large TV and people watching live footage. It was then seeing the actual footage that made things sink in on the magnitude. I think it was around that time the Pentagon was hit. Trolly and I went up to class (some civ class w/ Dr. Stringer in the TLC auditorium). We were there a few minutes early and of course everyone was talking about it saying what was hit 'oh, this tower was hit' 'oh, the pentagon was hit' 'oh, the capitol building was hit'. Then someone said 'oh, they tried to fly one into camp david'. Up till that time I wasn't worried about any family members or close friends since I didn't know any in those areas... however my parents live 3 miles from camp david... and if they 'tried' and missed... Thankfully after class I got a call from my dad saying everything was ok, and that was just a rumor.

A side note... while watching TV in the lobby before class, and throughout the day, everyone realized we are going to war. We didn't know who did it right then, but we knew someone couldn't do that to the U.S. on american soil and get away with it. I also think in general america realized that at the time. However, america has forgotten what it was like to be hit like that. Right now most people don't like the war (whether it is the 'war on terror' or the 'Iraq war'). But what bugs me is people don't appreciate the freedoms they have and the solders on the ground over there. Freedom isn't free, and we are taking advantage of those putting their life on the line to protect ours. Also Americans can't tolerate losses anymore, we want zero casualties, which isn't possible in the type of guerrilla war we are in. Also we are letting the politicians and politics guide this war, not the generals in the field.

One last comment... with my job I travel to military bases all of the country, working with current and former soldiers, many of which have served multiple tours over seas. Some have told me they are literally sick that the public want's to pull out. They say that all their buddies deaths will be meaningless if we don't stay and finish the job. 'Cutting our losses' is absolutely BS and politically motivated.
Also, another consensus from these military personal is that Obama will cut defense spending dramatically, significantly hampering our ability to design and test new defense systems. So, want to make our country more vulnerable? Vote Obama. Want to throw away all the work that our hard working men and woman have performed? Vote Obama. Want to leave a country vulnerable to a real civil war and fodder for surrounding countries to invade? Vote Obama. Regardless if you think the war is justified or not, we are in it now, and we have to finish what we started.

* steps off soap box *